POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Fools, science and things like "Helicobacter Pylori" Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fools, science and things like "Helicobacter Pylori"
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Nov 2009 21:05:13
Message: <4b1479d9@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 30 Nov 2009 20:05:35 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Darren New wrote:
>
>> Even nowadays, it surprises me (in some sense) that religious people
>> object to the teaching of evolution here. You'd think if creationism
>> were *true* and they *really* believed it, they wouldn't be worried
>> about *science*.
>>
>> Why would the church lock up Galileo if they thought his observations
>> and deductions were factually incorrect?
>
> Putting it the other way... the scientists *do* know that they are
> correct (or at least, very nearly correct), so why are they worried
> about creationists?

Because there are those who think that what should be taught in schools
is decided by popular vote rather than through the application of common
sense.

That's how you end up with "Creation Science" being taught as a part of
*science* curriculum in some of the more backwards states in the US as an
"alternative theory to evolution".  When you have people who have zero
expertise in science dictating what should be taught in science classes,
then progress is retarded.

Jim