POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Fools, science and things like "Helicobacter Pylori" Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fools, science and things like "Helicobacter Pylori"
From: TC
Date: 30 Nov 2009 20:38:39
Message: <4b14739f@news.povray.org>
Though I am no Buddhist myself, I prefer the Buddhist view (which might even
be true): some questions about life and the universe are unanswerable.

> Putting it the other way... the scientists *do* know that they are correct
> (or at least, very nearly correct), so why are they worried about
> creationists?

I am not worried by the idea of creationism itself, but I am worried by the
creationist movement. I am very worried by religious people with a mission -
no good did ever come from zealots, whatever the god they pray to. If you
believe a god created this world, big bang, evolution and all, this is
entirely your affair. But there is no real evidence for this. So why should
a mere belief be taught at school? Belief is for church, not for the world.

I have never heard of a scientist publicly burning a Christian (or a
Creationist) for his beliefs at the stake, applauded and urged on by a crowd
of fellow scientists. The reverse situation has been true only too often. So
why do you wonder about scientists being afraid of Creationists, especially
Christian ones? If people should be starting to believe in these unprovable
"theories" (which are no theories at all, just mere beliefs), then the next
inquisition, witch hunts and crusades will soon be at hand. So any sane
human should worry about the Christian Creationist movement. One of the few
things Karl Marx was right about: religion is opiate for the masses. People
can be controled more easily if they believe.

If you are a true Christian, a true believer, then this can lead to terrible
conclusions and horrible deeds, which are nonetheless completely logical and
justified. My favourite "pearl" of applied Christian wisdom:

"Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius." - "Kill them all, the Lord
will recognise His own." (Arnaud-Amaury, papal legate, when ordering the
slaughter of many thousand men, women and children - "Heretics" and
"Christians" alike)