POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam : Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam
From: Warp
Date: 30 Nov 2009 18:12:57
Message: <4b145179@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   Then it's unrelated to what I wrote, and an odd response.

> I was agreeing with you.  Not only can you see "depth" with one eye closed,
> you can see "depth" that isn't there with both eyes open.  You don't have
> that hard a time judging how far away the enemy is and who is closer in a
> 1st-person shooter, regardless of how many eyes you open.

  Of course the brain needs the visual clues given by parallax and other
even subtler details (such as recognizable shapes) in order to maintain
the compensated depth perception. If you eg. pause the game/video for some
time, you will start losing the depth perception again, until you resume
it and start getting the visual clues again.

  With stereo vision you maintain the depth perception even with a
completely static three-dimensional scenery.

--
                                                          - Warp