POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Warp
Date: 30 Nov 2009 18:06:10
Message: <4b144fe2@news.povray.org>

> >> It's only nonsense if you don't know what it means.
> >
> > "And the waves interact to generate these interference patterns."

> That's mistaken. There are no waves.

  It looks like a wave, it behaves like a wave, it produces all the effects
that a wave would produce, but it's not a wave.

> > "OK, so why do I still get the exact same patterns if there's only one
> > photon there?"

> Because there are no waves.

  You get a wave interference pattern *because* (not "even though") there's
no wave. That makes sense.

  I wonder if the same principle could be applied to all non-intuitive
phenomena: The phenomenon happens *because* of what makes it non-intuitive,
not *regardless* of what makes it non-intuitive. Of course that claim is
quite non-intuitive all in itself.

--
                                                          - Warp