POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:23:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 30 Nov 2009 17:39:58
Message: <4b1449be@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> babble some nonesense about a "quantum superposition of states" to
>>> make up for the fact that this explanation makes no sense at all.
>>
>> It's only nonsense if you don't know what it means.
>
> "And the waves interact to generate these interference patterns."
>
> "OK, so why do I still get the exact same patterns if there's only one
> photon there?"

You don't get the interference pattern with only one photon. You get it
if you sum a lot of photons emitted one at a time. A single photon will
still hit only one place*, but that place is more likely to be in one of
the locations that you would expect from a wave.

Many-Worlds Interpretation not withstanding.

> "Um... right, OK... that's because there are these extra versions of the
> photon, that all exist at the same time. They generate the interference
> pattern. Oh, but you can't measure them, see? Because as soon as you
> look at them, they stop existing, right?"
>
> "Dude... WTF?"

Not quite the same, but how can a 4D object interact with it self in 3D
space?

Photons are not waves, but their position is governed by a waveform that
represents the probability that the particle will be at any given point.