POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 30 Nov 2009 17:20:44
Message: <4b14453c$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Invisible wrote:
>> I doubt your eyes can see single photons anyway...
>
> If the photon hits a rod cell in the eye, then yes. Whether the brain
> would process this over the photon flux of your surroundings would be up
> for question. In total darkness, I think you would see it.

It's true that in very low light conditions, vision takes on a
"speckley" character, presumably due to some combination of small
numbers of photons or small numbers of individual nerve impulses
generating a fairly noisey signal. I'm not sure whether one single
photon is enough to generate a nerve action potential though; maybe it
takes 10 or so?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/