POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:20:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Nov 2009 16:08:49
Message: <4b143461$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:49:37 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> If I wanted to get a job where I get paid to write stuff in Haskell,
> that would be an unrealistic aim.

Wrong.  If you wanted to get a job where you are paid to write stuff in
Haskell in an area where there are no such jobs, *that* would be
unrealistic.

Fact:  People get paid to write programs in Haskell.

Therefore, saying it's unrealistic for you to get one of those jobs is
false because you start from a false premise.

> If I wanted to work for Nokia, that
> would be an unrealistic aim.

Nonsense.  Nokia has jobs that run the entire range of skillsets.

> If I wanted to earn £25,000 a year, that
> would be an unrealistic aim.

Total bollocks.  If you wanted to earn £25,000 for sitting on your arse
and doing absolutely nothing, *that* would be an unrealistic aim.  It
*might* be unrealistic to look for jobs in your area that pay that well,
too.  But finding a job that pays that outside of MK?  Yeah, you could do
that, but you're not willing to look outside the immediate area.

> But I don't see why getting a job somewhere
> near to where I live would be an unrealistic aim.

Is there 100% employment where you live?  I'd bet not - so that being the
case, sure, it's perhaps somewhat unrealistic to think there are more
jobs than employees in your immediate area.  The fact that you've not
found anything in the immediate area would seem to belie that fact, in
fact - and so without expanding your search to a broader area and broader
selection criteria would be the logical next step.

Jim