POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miracle products
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2009 11:44:36
Message: <4b13f674$1@news.povray.org>

>>> That happens a lot when fanatics burn down libraries. Hasn't really
>>> happened much since the invention of the printing press.
>>
>> Which, AFAIK, is "fairly recent".
>
> Yep. The first "modern" press was the mid-1400's.  There were some in
> China that didn't work out all that well due to the lack of an
> alphabet.

Hahaha! Isn't China that country that *has* an alphabet, but it's 22,000
characters or something absurd?

>> seemingly nothing inbetween.
>
> Quite possibly due to either libraries burning down, or due to math not
> being all that useful without science, once the basics you need for
> architecture census and such are figured out.

Check out the graph:

http://tinyurl.com/ydncoro

Notice the huge gap in the middle, and the much smaller gap between then
and now? I'm sure other mathematicians *existed*, they just weren't
especially famous... ;-)