POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam : Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2009 11:40:17
Message: <4b13f571$1@news.povray.org>
>> I think the primary thing that stereoscopic vision gives you is depth
>> perception.
>
>   The lack of depth perception of people who are blind on one eye has been
> greatly exaggerated. People with only one seeing eye have a surprisingly
> good depth perception.

Shut one eye. The world doesn't really look any different.

Now try and pick something up.

Oh. OK, my hand is actually nowhere near. I guess depth perception *is*
important after all.

(Even more fun is trying to drive with one eye shut. I strongly
recommend that you *never*, ever try this!)

On the other hand, if you're looking at a *moving* picture, you still
have parallax to aid you. Not to mention that many types of surfaces
have patterns that are predictable enough to allow you to guess how far
away they are.

(It is notable, actually, that certain natural objects possess such
scale-invarience that you can't reliably tell how big they are. Rocks
work well in this regard...)