POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2009 11:05:59
Message: <4b13ed67@news.povray.org>

>>> The subway takes you where you need to go. I've been all over london.
>>
>> Tried leaving the West End on a Saturday night just after all the
>> shows finish?
>
> Well, sure. But that's going to be congested regardless of your mode of
> transport. Heck, I've been to places that when the show let out, it was
> too crowded to *walk* for 15 minutes or more.

Every year, MK holds a public demonstration of how awesome our road
network is. On the Saturday after the 5th of November, there's a huge
public firework display (with free entraince - not that you can really
stop people watching something that takes up the entire sky...) A
singificant fraction of the entire populus of the city is concentrated
at a single point in space. When the last firework explodes, the entire
assemblage all try to leave simultanously.

Once you get more than a quarter of a mile from the car park, you'd
never know anything had happened. The traffic disperces *that* efficiently.

(Of course, it'll take you 20 minutes to get your car out of the car
park. And it'll take 30 minutes for you plus a few thousand other people
to shuffle across the three *tiny* bridges connecting Campbell Park to
the rest of the city...)

In London, when it's busy, it's busy *everywhere*, and no matter where
you go, no matter which route you take, it's *all* gridlocked.
Admittedly London is much bigger and far more populated than MK, not
even so...