POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: scott
Date: 30 Nov 2009 07:47:26
Message: <4b13bede$1@news.povray.org>
> Still, even on school caving trips in the middle of nowhere, I don't
> recall seeing many stars in the night sky. I presume they're still there,
> we just can't see them any more.

http://www.astro-travels.com/pictures/Europe-Light-Pollution.jpg

On the above map my house is on the border of a green/yellow region and I
can make out a huge number of stars on a clear night, the Milky Way is also
just barely visible on a really good night.  I don't know exactly where MK
is on that map, but it looks a bit red/orange around there :-(

Don't forget you need to go outside for at least 20 minutes or so for your
eyes to get fully adjusted to the dark, initially it might look like only a
dozen or so stars are visible, but after a few minutes you will see hundreds
more.

BTW if you're interested, one of the brightest "stars" in the sky at the
moment is actually Jupiter.