POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
9 Oct 2024 00:21:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Nov 2009 04:19:02
Message: <4b138e06$1@news.povray.org>
>> I would suggest that you'd be insane to try to travel around central
>> London by car. It's not that public transport is superb - it isn't -
>
> The subway takes you where you need to go. I've been all over london.

Tried leaving the West End on a Saturday night just after all the shows
finish? Let's just say the trainsport system could do with about 10x the
capacity. ;-) [Although, obviously, this is infeasible.]

>> it's more that the roads are an insane nightmare.
>
> This is true in most cities that were laid out before the invention of
> automobiles.

Which isn't terribly surprising, really.

One of the things I like about MK is that it has a road network that was
*designed*, rather than having to try to fit a road network into a city
which already exists and wasn't laid out with mass transport in mind.

(Having said that, the people in charge of the city now are apparently
extremely anti-car, and are doing their absolute best to ruin the city's
great transport network to force everybody onto the busses that don't
exist...)