POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miracle products
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Nov 2009 21:47:40
Message: <4b13324c$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Sadly, while plausible, its not the case. It been done using the "wrong"
>> places, and even using needles are fake, and don't cause any sort of
>> puncture at all. In fact, the only thing that seems to effect outcomes,
>> based on the experiments done by one person, who used to be an advocate
>> of it, until he started wondering why the hell the multitude of
>> acupressure methods neither agree with each other, or the acupuncture
>> chart, is if the explanation "sounds" plausible to the patient, and the
>> practitioner appears to believe it themselves. Mostly the later. If you
>> stick someone in the room to do the procedure that pretends to think its
>> all BS, and who won't provide any facts, details, or explanation, the
>> result is complete failure.
>
> Have any links to those studies, I would love to see it in print and be
> able to pass it around to others.

Wish I knew where to find them. Hmm. Ask Penn and Teller? They where the
ones that tracked down the guy, whose name I can't even remember. But,
he was, apparently, for a while, one of the #1 people running around
advocating its use, and even still has the bus he used to treat people,
as part of spreading the idea around. He now uses it to show people why
its bunk.

And for why its not placebo.. I never said it wasn't. But we don't use
placebos, in most cases, for one key reason, and two lesser ones. The
main one is ethics. To make a placebo work you have to basically *lie*
to a patient. The others are 1) lying about the effect of such a
treatment allows those denying that it "is" placebo to continue to
suggest that its not, and that a whole host of other BS is real too, 2)
some of those things *can be* and *are* dangerous, under certain
circumstance, and 3) people may opt to use the placebo, and refuse
*real* treatment. The later two happen all the time, and people die from
it every single year, some of them children.

You can't lie to patients, and you can't support things that result in
people failing to take treatments for *serious* conditions, by only
taking the placebo. And then... there are the "doctors" who haven't
managed to get their license pulled, because they are not *technically*
doing anything they *know* (or at least believe) is wrong, who may hurt
or kill people by advocating the placebo *instead* of the real
treatments. And, since no rules exist to prevent it, other than the
ethics rules, which deny use of such things at all, opening the door to
them means you have no way to remove such doctors from their practice
for malpractice.

Its literally one of those slippery slope issues that it would be *far*
better to avoid than advocate openly.

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {