POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : And you thought flash was only good for youtube. : Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube. Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: And you thought flash was only good for youtube.
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 29 Nov 2009 20:06:25
Message: <4b131a91$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> When's the last time you said "My ftp server won't talk to your FTP
> client"? Why? Because there were several interoperative implementations
> *before* it was a standard.  Sure, sometimes you get a mess like email
> address parsing, but that's the price you pay for interoperability.

On a related side note.. Wish the twits would standardize all their
bloody download redirects, which they now all seem to bloody use, for no
apparent reason, on 90% of the sites which plugins/programs that attempt
to help download, or redirect to a more reliable manager, or just do
anything beyond passing the file to the browsers ftp/http file transfer
system. A few have mangled things so badly you can't even *get* a file
from them if you have something installed, about 50% of them you can't
use the normal "just click", or wait for their page to script load it,
because it triggers a set of events in things like FlashGot, which
results in the download not even starting, and then, in about 20% of
cases, and this "never" happened until the last 1-2 years, you get the
file downloaded, but the "name" passed to the downloader is wrong. I.e.,
you end up with something like:

local name	source
get.php		www.somefileserver.dum/files/realname.zip

Part of this is the fault of the manager, mind you, which doesn't check
to make sure the destination name and the source are the same, but
seriously.. This isn't being done, as near as I can tell, to undermine
download managers or plugins, its designed to help the site track who is
downloading, in most cases, and its getting continuously worse over
time. And if it was an issue with trying to stop things like getright,
why not make a client with "most" of the same features, provide some
standard way to say, "This can't be downloaded via multiple
connections.", which is usually the problem they are trying to stop, or
just *leave out* that feature, and make it work with every damn site?
Problem solved. Instead you have unreliable managers in the browsers,
which can and *have* failed to properly download a file on me, resume,
if they even do that, unreliably, can't keep running if you close the
browser, and provide "no" other features at all, including warning you
of non-unique names, or redirecting specific file types to specific
folders, or anything else that a real manager provides.

File transfers that don't involve a bare client, or bittorrent, are
becoming increasingly stupid and unusable.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {