POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 29 Nov 2009 11:19:18
Message: <4b129f06$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> You just got through saying that precedent applies to identical or
> nearly identical situations. So your question.. doesn't make sense in
> context of what I am saying.

You only think it doesn't.  I will assume that since you avoided answering
the question, the answer is "no".

> at all, instead of merely how obvious it seems, would set a precedent to
> deny similar patents entirely.

But the lawyer defending the suit doesn't care.

> In other words, what I am saying is, attacking the validity of software
> patent is a meta issue that effects "all" of them, not just the specific
> cases.

And you're missing my point again. The lawyer doesn't care, nor does the judge.

> You don't make an
> argument that invalidates your own future cases, just to win one where
> someone else is suing you over supposed infringement.

Do you have any evidence to support this statement? Or are you just guessing
that's how it works?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)