POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
6 Sep 2024 05:14:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 29 Nov 2009 07:49:30
Message: <4b126dda@news.povray.org>
>> Right. Because having a job near to where I live is *obviously* a
>> "totally unrealistic requirement". WTF?
>
> What is unrealistic is assuming you will find a satisfying job within
> that area.

I'm not sure why you think that.

If I wanted to get a job where I get paid to write stuff in Haskell,
that would be an unrealistic aim. If I wanted to work for Nokia, that
would be an unrealistic aim. If I wanted to earn £25,000 a year, that
would be an unrealistic aim. But I don't see why getting a job somewhere
near to where I live would be an unrealistic aim.

> Most people are prepared to move if they can get a good job
> that is beyond commuting distance.

I don't know of anybody who moved just to get a job. (With the exception
of my sister.) Admittedly I don't know a huge number of people, but both
my parents have had lots and lots of jobs, and have never left MK. (I'm
guessing moving house when you have small children is not especially
easy...) My stepbrother's parents - never left MK. Hell, my mate Jayne
lives in a tiny village in the middle of nowhere and she's never moved
house to get a job. (Then again, she commutes crazy distances.) The
*only* person I know of who's moved house to find a job is my sister.

> As far as we know you don't have a girlfriend and the only reason to
> stay where you live would be that you definitely don't want to leave
> your mother. Not sure if that is the case.

I'd actually *like* to leave my mother. She drives me crazy. It's the
city of MK that I enjoy and don't particularly want to leave.

> so
> pick a place where you can have a career. And don't wait too long.

Heh. One more thing to add to the list of problems I'm running out of
time to solve. :-/

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/