POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miracle products
From: somebody
Date: 29 Nov 2009 00:12:08
Message: <4b1202a8@news.povray.org>
"Neeum Zawan" <m.n### [at] ieeeorg> wrote in message
> On 11/27/09 17:18, somebody wrote:

> > Exactly. Lacking evidence one way or the other, odds are, the person
making
> > extraordinary predictions is a Bozo.

> Except that evidence wasn't lacking.

Claims motivated by greed is not evidence.

> >> Your diamond mine scenario is not even close to analogous with the one
> >> we're talking about.

> > Again, how so?

> Because no one came to you stating that they had dug a little and found
> reason to believe there is a diamond mine there. No one came to you with
> a story about how 200 years ago, someone found a diamond there, or found
> clues indicative of diamonds.

So your litmus test is *someone* telling you something. Let's see how you
respond to the Nigerian scam problem:

> > I am sure you get hundereds of Nigerian mail scams a month. Do you
> > investigate any one of them? Maybe one of them is not a scam and is the
real
> > deal, could it be not?

> It sure could be. Your point? I don't pursue them, because that's not
> my area of interest. It's not exactly an academic activity, and if I
> were to dig deep and find that some are legitimate emails, humanity has
> gained nothing. Sure, I may get rich, but I didn't realize this whole
> discussion was oriented towards /personal/ gain.

So, instead of admitting that they are *all* scams (which would invalidate
your point above, since they are claims made by *many people*), you are
saying that you are not interested in money. Admirable. But why not pursue
them anyway, get the money, and donate it all to a worthy cause that
benefits humanity?