POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:18:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 28 Nov 2009 15:15:23
Message: <4b1184db$1@news.povray.org>
>> I've been to a number of random cities around the country. Hell, I've
>> even been to places in other countries. The nice thing about Switzerland
>> is the skiing. But if it weren't for the skiing and the snow, there
>> would be absolutely no reason to go there - and I would certainly never
>> ever want to live there, even if it were somehow possible to ski every
>> single day, all year round.
>
> And yet there are plenty of people in Switzerland who have jobs even like
> the jobs you and I have.  But you've been there to ski, and that's great
> - but you should expand your experience a little and not just think of
> Switzerland as a place to ski, but as a place that people live (and from
> what I've heard, have pretty good lives).

It depends on what you like.

I gather that there are people who actually *like* travelling. People
who pay to go on round the world cruises. Personally, I'd hate that. But
that's OK; people are different.

There are people who *want* to live in the south of France, because it's
very sunny there. Personally, I hate hot weather. It would drive me mad!
But hey, that's why I'm not moving to the south of France, right?

And I am completely confident that there are plenty of people who'd
*love* to live and work in Switzerland. (It would be kind of an empty
country otherwise...) Doesn't mean I'd like it though.

>> Well sure, if I go live in London I'm sure there are bucket-loads of
>> programming jobs. The point is that I don't *want* to ever have to live
>> in London if humanly possible. What's complicated about that?
>
> You don't have to *live* someplace to *work* there.  My office is 45
> miles south of me; I go there about once every two weeks or so.

...which is about the distance I currently travel too, yes. I'd like to
*avoid* all this travelling if possible. It's expensive and it's a huge
waste of my time.

>> Hell, if I move to Germany, I could hypothetically go work for Native
>> Instruments. (I mean, if it weren't for the fact that this is obviously
>> impossible.) But then I'd have to live in Germany, which would kind of
>> negate the benefits.
>
> I know quite a few people in Germany who would see it different;

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that maybe that's *why*
they're in Germany? ;-)

> and why would it be "obviously impossible" anyways?

Because ordinary people don't get to work in cool places like that. Only
special people. I'm not special. (Not that way, anyway...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/