POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
6 Sep 2024 03:17:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Nov 2009 13:35:42
Message: <4b116d7e@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 26 Nov 2009 09:47:14 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> You don't seem to get it, do you? I *like* MK. I don't want to leave.
>>> It's the only place in the UK I've found that isn't old and crappy.
>>
>> And at the same time, you say "I don't want to get the crap kicked out
>> of me by standing up for myself" - which to me DOESN'T sound like that
>> great of a place to live.  Unless you like living in fear of having the
>> crap kicked out of you for standing up for yourself.
>
> Surely that's the some everywhere though? I mean, whether you're in
> London, Paris or Rome, upsetting people generally isn't a good idea.

And yet you let them upset YOU...No, that's NOT the same everywhere, and
several of us have attempted to explain that before.  But you are so
*certain* that your perceptions of the world are the *only possible*
perceptions there could ever be that you're not willing to take a look at
the possibilities.

>> I understand that there are things you like about MK.  I also
>> understand that you haven't actually seen a lot of the world, so your
>> decision- making being based on what you know is what's limiting you.
>
> I've been to a number of random cities around the country. Hell, I've
> even been to places in other countries. The nice thing about Switzerland
> is the skiing. But if it weren't for the skiing and the snow, there
> would be absolutely no reason to go there - and I would certainly never
> ever want to live there, even if it were somehow possible to ski every
> single day, all year round.

And yet there are plenty of people in Switzerland who have jobs even like
the jobs you and I have.  But you've been there to ski, and that's great
- but you should expand your experience a little and not just think of
Switzerland as a place to ski, but as a place that people live (and from
what I've heard, have pretty good lives).

> Similarly, I enjoy visiting places in London such as the Natural History
> Museum and the Royal Albert Hall, but London itself is an unpleasent
> inconvenience that I have to go through to get to these places. It's
> certainly not somewhere I'd choose to hang around.
>
> And then there are places like Liverpool and Lincoln, which I also only
> visit because there's something there I want. I certainly don't hang
> around for the city itself. Brrr!

Working there != hanging around there, but I do understand what you mean
by not wanting to try to get around London on a daily basis.  I've seen
the traffic there, and paying congestion charges is something I'd want to
avoid.

>>> Well, it's a case of facing facts. Who the hell needs programmers?
>>> Nobody. Who needs someone to look after their computers? Quite a lot
>>> of people...
>>
>> Nobody in MK perhaps, which is why you maybe need to broaden your
>> search parameters - and not just by fields, but by geography.
>>
>> That's my point, and one you have rather persistently not seen.
>
> Well sure, if I go live in London I'm sure there are bucket-loads of
> programming jobs. The point is that I don't *want* to ever have to live
> in London if humanly possible. What's complicated about that?

You don't have to *live* someplace to *work* there.  My office is 45
miles south of me; I go there about once every two weeks or so.

> Hell, if I move to Germany, I could hypothetically go work for Native
> Instruments. (I mean, if it weren't for the fact that this is obviously
> impossible.) But then I'd have to live in Germany, which would kind of
> negate the benefits.

I know quite a few people in Germany who would see it different; and why
would it be "obviously impossible" anyways?  Other than the fact that you
believe it is, so therefore it must be true?

Jim