POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Miracle products : Re: Miracle products Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Miracle products
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Nov 2009 15:45:01
Message: <4b103a4d@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> (There are people who think that accupuncture is nonesense. But now
> scientists are finding that it causes measurable chemical changes in the
> body that do, in fact, do something. As crazy as that sounds...)

It is nonsense. The people claiming that it isn't are either making up
the research (this isn't uncommon), or ignoring the fact that such
chemical changes can happen even if you a) do it bloody wrong, or b)
without actually puncturing the skin. Hell, I would be willing to even
bet that you could use something that claimed to "beam" magnetic waves
at the key points, make it entirely out of plastic, with no working
parts, and people would still have "chemical changes". If anything, one
has to ask, "Why is it that these claims of chemical changes show up
only *after* people have begun discrediting the prior claims?" You get
the same thing with Chiropractic treatment. The whole **entire** thing
it based on claims of a) misalignments that no medical technique or
machine, including the best MRIs, etc. and other methods we have,
can/have/ever detect, but which the practitioners claim they can "feel",
b) the idea that **all** disease, this means everything from, on one
extreme end *Ebola*, to, on the other end, mild headaches, is the result
of "spinal misalignments", not, you know.. actual diseases of problems.
*True* practitioners actually believe this, which is why you have dead
people, including children, showing up, no and then, on the news, who
went to get their kid treated for non-existent problems, and/or the
common cold. It *is* effective, when it applies itself to the *same* set
of skills that Osteopathy does, which involves the lower back, and
*real* misalignments. Just one problem.. You don't find very many
Osteopaths any more, because a) all the Chiropractors have taken over
their business, and b) the results are usually not any better, and can
be worse, than "other" therapies for the condition. Acupuncture is just
a form of Chiropractic treatment, with needles, and a **far** smaller
chance of it killing you if they screw up.

Why are people still allowed to practice? Because it has been, and still
is, the first and most prominent "accepted" alternative medicine
practice in the country, and **is not**, nor ever has been, covered
under the same rules as the rest of the medical community, including,
ironically, the Osteopaths, who went out of business as a result.

Oh, and you can find "changes" in chiropractic patients too. Its called
"temporary or permanent nerve damage, resulting in numbness.", if you
are lucky. Not so lucky.. you end up with a nicked artery during neck
manipulation, which is virtually impossible to do *safely* every single
time, and 24 hours later end up on a slab in someone's morgue.

All things being equal, accupuncture/pressure, and the host of other
"Feng Shui for the body" methods out there, which like Feng Shui, no two
practitioners can bloody agree on, if they are using a different
"technique", and which seem to work just as well, even when making shit
up about which points do what, is the one I would prefer, if I had to
take it, since I would at least be 99.9999% sure I would live through
the experience. Ironically, if I had **real** non-imaginary, lower back
problems, I would have to pick the other set of loonies, and walk in
with a steel collar, to keep them from doing more than just accidentally
paralyzing me.

There is a lot of quack BS considered *accepted* in medicine,
unfortunately, and plenty of people willing to believe almost anything
claimed by its proponents, even *after* seeing the evidence. But then,
why should medicine be any different than politics, religion, history,
or anything else where you see the same?

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();