POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The joy of RS-232 : Re: The joy of RS-232 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The joy of RS-232
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 27 Nov 2009 14:09:37
Message: <4b1023f1$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

>> If I connect this thing to COM1: on my PC, is there some way to
>> capture the data it's spewing out in a file?

Hyperterminal if you are on Win XP or 2k or anything before Vista. Not
sure about Windows 7, but I can not find hyperterminal in Vista. Can
always use PuTTY, or if you have them installed both the Arduino or PIC
IDEs should suffice.

> Oh goodie. I just checked the manual, and it gives the following
> connection sequence for the cable:

That isn't a particularly bad cable set up. Looping the ground pin to
other pins is one I have seen in a random cable. You get used to seeing
hacks like that.

> God damnit, I am literally *so glad* that RS-232 is obsolete now. It's a
> total PITA!! >_<

I finally got a computer that doesn't have a serial port, and am pissed
about it. Sure, I could keep lots of RS-232 to USB chips around for what
every circuit I am working with, but just dropping a serial cable into a
breadboard and throwing the data onto the line for debugging is much easier.