POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The joy of RS-232 : Re: The joy of RS-232 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The joy of RS-232
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 27 Nov 2009 12:32:12
Message: <4b100d1c$1@news.povray.org>
Le 27/11/2009 17:23, Invisible nous fit lire :
> Invisible wrote:
>
>> If I connect this thing to COM1: on my PC, is there some way to
>> capture the data it's spewing out in a file?
>
> Oh goodie. I just checked the manual, and it gives the following
> connection sequence for the cable:
>
> Instrument <-> PC
>   1 -> 1
>   2 -> 3
>   3 -> 2
>   4 -> 6
>   5 -> 5
>   6 -> 4
>   7 -> 8
>   8 -> 7
>   9 -> 9

DB-9 RS-232 is the worst kind of connector.
A DB-25 was clearer.

First question would be to know if the device expected to be a DTE or
DCE. As the remote end was a printer (probably more a basic printer, not
laser, at least not in PCL/PS/graphic mode), the instrument is probably
a DTE (like PC). DTE to DTE required that kind of crossing cable.
(DTE to DCE is flat, IIRC)

> Then I took the cable I'm using apart and deduced the following
> connections:
>
>   1 -> 7
>   2 -> 3
>   3 -> 2
>   4 -> 6, 8

Classical ack shortcut... that's what happen when you use DTE - DTE...

>   5 -> 5
>   6 -> 9
>   7 -> 4
>   8 -> 1
>   9 -> 4
>
> Notice, especially, how multiple pins are connected to each other. Now
> I'm not completely sure my dad can count, so some of the pin numbers
> might be wrong. However, it is incontravertible that each plug contains
> a loop of wire commoning two pins together. The wiring diagram in the
> book contains no such link.
>
> What is more puzzling is that this cable apparently works just fine when
> used with other equipment...
>
> God damnit, I am literally *so glad* that RS-232 is obsolete now. It's a
> total PITA!! >_<

You'd better try the com port either on windows (ultra terminal, IIRC,
wonder if still available in vista/7... look in communication package)
or linux (tip, or minicom (easier to setup))

You got the most important data: speed, number of start/stop bit (parity ??)

RS-232C is great... long lines, no problem.
You cannot do that with USB!