POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The joy of RS-232 : Re: The joy of RS-232 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The joy of RS-232
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Nov 2009 11:41:51
Message: <4b10014f$1@news.povray.org>
>> What is more puzzling is that this cable apparently works just fine
>> when used with other equipment...
>
> Yes the RS232 was known to be the most non-standard, standard.

I just tried a different cable, which also supposedly works, and it has
an entirely unrelated layout. Pin 6 is not connected at either and, and
there's a 1-4 crossover. (Still, at least the connections are
*symmetric* this time!)

So I tried a third lead. Didn't bother writing the connections down, but
it has another arrangement again. Pin 1 connects to pin 8...

It seems that for any arbitrary cable, you will find a different random
permutation of connections! >_<

And yet, these cables all "work", so maybe it's not even important? I
notice that every single one of them has 5 straight and a 2-3 crossover,
so maybe that's the only thing that actually matters?

> Your
> cable pin assignment looks familiar but if you want it to work with your
> printer you will need to change it to the way specified in the manual.
> At least the connectors are solder-able.

Yeah, I think I'm going to have to make the cable my God-damned self if
I want it to match the manual.

And hence apparently you can only WRITE TO, but not READ FROM the serial
port from DOS, it won't solve my problem anyway.