POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The joy of RS-232 : Re: The joy of RS-232 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:17:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The joy of RS-232
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Nov 2009 11:23:14
Message: <4b0ffcf2$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> If I connect this thing to COM1: on my PC, is there some way to capture
> the data it's spewing out in a file?

Oh goodie. I just checked the manual, and it gives the following
connection sequence for the cable:

Instrument <-> PC
   1 -> 1
   2 -> 3
   3 -> 2
   4 -> 6
   5 -> 5
   6 -> 4
   7 -> 8
   8 -> 7
   9 -> 9

Then I took the cable I'm using apart and deduced the following connections:

   1 -> 7
   2 -> 3
   3 -> 2
   4 -> 6, 8
   5 -> 5
   6 -> 9
   7 -> 4
   8 -> 1
   9 -> 4

Notice, especially, how multiple pins are connected to each other. Now
I'm not completely sure my dad can count, so some of the pin numbers
might be wrong. However, it is incontravertible that each plug contains
a loop of wire commoning two pins together. The wiring diagram in the
book contains no such link.

What is more puzzling is that this cable apparently works just fine when
used with other equipment...

God damnit, I am literally *so glad* that RS-232 is obsolete now. It's a
total PITA!! >_<