POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SCIENCE! : Re: SCIENCE! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:21:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SCIENCE!
From: Invisible
Date: 26 Nov 2009 07:19:51
Message: <4b0e7267$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>>  Well, *usually* science goes through the cycle:
>>
>> 1) We observe some phenomenon,
>> 2) We study and measure the phenomenon.
>> 3) We formulate hypotheses, and if these hypotheses can make enough
>> accurate
>>   predictions which match new observations, they are made into theories.
>> 4) If new observations and measurements contradict the existing theories,
>>   they are revised, or entirely new hypotheses are formulated, so we go
>>   back to step 1.
>
> Didn't Einstein predict black holes before we found any?

It's not uncommon for a new theory to explain observed phenomina but
also predict something that nobody has seen before. The interesting
question is whether the thing is seen later.

(Isn't there some theory that predicts that Weakly Interacting Massive
Particles exist, yet nobody has ever seen one?)