POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Nov 2009 23:24:08
Message: <4b0e02e8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> And, seriously, how many of the companies involved wouldn't have
>> wanted patents?
>
> About half. The half that lost the patent case in court, in particular.
> And that's why we have precedents. You can't argue that this case
> applies to him and an identical case doesn't apply to you.
>
> But sure, in general? Go for it. That's what the legislature and judges
> decide, and that's what's before the courts now.

I would disagree with this assessment, for the very reason you state,
but flipped. No company wants to discredit a patent system that would
allow them to say, "But the same rule applies to so and so's case, so it
should apply to mine." Anyone arguing to invalidate software patent is
cutting their own throat, ***if*** they think they have any sort of
software to which they might want to apply a patent.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {