POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 25 Nov 2009 18:26:17
Message: <4b0dbd19$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 25 Nov 2009 15:18:53 -0800, Darren New wrote:

> Well, the article is clear and well-written, and talks extensively about
> theoretical computer science and turing machines and all that stuff.

Oh, yes, the articles up there do tend to be clear and well-written - no
doubt about that.  It's just that dissent with any of PJ's opinions seems
to be very poorly tolerated.

She made a claim once that NetWare was derived from Unix; I saw someone
attempt to correct that, and it wasn't well received - and the person
attempting to correct that was in fact correct; the guys at SuperSet (the
group that coded the original NetWare kernel) may have had a Unix
background from their CS studies at BYU, but NetWare bears as much
resemblance (both externally and internally) to Unix as the OS on a
Commodore VIC-20 does.

Jim