POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Nov 2009 18:18:56
Message: <4b0dbb60$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:
> appreciated there, even if you do have a valid point, I've found.

Well, the article is clear and well-written, and talks extensively about
theoretical computer science and turing machines and all that stuff. It's
just irrelevant to patents, because the thing that makes software an
improvement is its output, and theoretical computer science doesn't talk
about I/O.  Theoretical computer science doesn't care about the speed of
your computer or whether the keys on the keyboard are labeled right or
whether the red and green guns in the CRT are wired in reverse. It's hard to
imagine a patent of *any* type on a machine or subject or process that has
absolutely no interaction with or affect of any type upon humans once it is
set in motion, and that's what 99% of theoretical computer science is about.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   You know the kamikaze monsters in Serious Sam