POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SCIENCE! : Re: SCIENCE! Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SCIENCE!
From: Darren New
Date: 25 Nov 2009 10:39:59
Message: <4b0d4fcf$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   With quantum gravity the direction seems reversed: They have formed the
> theory of a gravitational quantum *first*, and now they are really hard
> trying to discover it somehow.

The problem is that both relativity and QED (quantum electrodynamics -
quantum mechanics for non-nuclear interactions) seem to be very accurate in
their appropriate timescales. But QED assumes absolute time (AFAIK), and
relativity assumes continuously differentiable space (and hence energy
levels), so we know we can't resolve those two into one theory without
changing one or the other. (At least, that's my understanding of the problem.)

The approach that QED uses has been successfully applied to nuclear
interactions with the strong and weak nuclear forces, as well as
interactions between quarks (quantum chromodynamics). In other words, it
looks like every force *except* gravity behaves like
two-dimensional-probability "waves" traveling at the speed of light on average.

Hence the assumption that gravity is likely to also play by that rule, with
gravitons mediating the effects of gravity on the small scale with
statistical properties making it look smooth and consistent and "not
quantum" over larger scales.

tl;dr - relativity and quantum are mathematically incompatible, and quantum
accurately describes everything *except* gravity, so the assumption is
gravity is wrong.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   You know the kamikaze monsters in Serious Sam