POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: scott
Date: 25 Nov 2009 02:52:42
Message: <4b0ce24a$1@news.povray.org>
> This is what I'm interested in. Are the lights visible from this distance
> because they glow? Or would any old object be visible from such a
> distance? (Assuming it wasn't the middle of the night, obviously.)

The fact that it is dark helps a lot, obviously your eye is much more
sensitive then.

According to this page:

http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/see_a_photon.html

A rod in your eye must receive about 5-9 photons over 100 ms to tell your
brain that something is there.  That is a pretty damn small amount of light.