POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Darren New
Date: 24 Nov 2009 16:52:14
Message: <4b0c558e$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think that getting something to be 6 million times brighter than the
> Sun can be pretty hard...

Note that I said "per square inch."   Sure, if your star is 92x as big as
the Sun, it's going to be very bright in an absolute sense.

100x the heat of the *middle* of the Sun:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/11732814/

Even the middle of lightning gets 2x as hot as the (presumedly, surface of
the) star you referenced.

As I say, it's all about square inches.  The *middle* of the sun is
15,000,000K. The surface is 15,000K. Big difference.

Since a star's surface is essentially a black body, it's pretty easy to
calculate the temperature of it, and other black bodies the same color will
be about the same temperature. So the hottest parts of lava are about the
temperature of the sun's surface, and the hottest parts of a propane flame
are about the same temperature as a blue star.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   You know the kamikaze monsters in Serious Sam