POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: nemesis
Date: 23 Nov 2009 13:23:22
Message: <4b0ad31a@news.povray.org>
Invisible escreveu:
> The problem is, Unix has _always_ been designed around the idea that
> everything is a text file and that's how you configure the entire
> system. Sure, these days we have pretty front ends that atempt to hide
> all the complexity. But as soon as you need to edit something there
> isn't a front-end for, or the text file contains some setting that the
> fancy front-end doesn't comprehend... suddenly you need to know how all
> this stuff works again.
>
> Windows, on the other hand, has always been designed around the idea
> that the user doesn't know anything about computers and needs to be
> shielded from anything more complicated than a lightswitch. Which is
> sometimes quite frustrating, in a different way...

What that really means is that there are GUIs for all the n00b-level
options and if there isn't, the Windows n00b will have to mess around
with the arcane registry or RTFM for the first time in his life.

I like configuration files better than GUIs for no other reason that I
can simply grep it for whatever I'm looking for or remotely related --
direct to the point.  In GUIs I have to go through a multitude of
recursive menus or tabs hidden well underneath other options etc...

--
a game sig: http://tinyurl.com/d3rxz9