POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Modern Linux desktops suck : Re: Modern Linux desktops suck Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modern Linux desktops suck
From: Invisible
Date: 23 Nov 2009 04:30:45
Message: <4b0a5645$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unix software, on the other hand, seems to regard giant text files (all
>> with a completely different format) as the *primary* means of
>> configuration, and a GUI as secondary to that.
>
> Let me introduce you to YaST....Before I started using it, I didn't like
> the idea of it, but now that I'm used to it, guess what - I don't have to
> tweak all these different configuration files, because it handles it for
> me most of the time.

The problem is, Unix has _always_ been designed around the idea that
everything is a text file and that's how you configure the entire
system. Sure, these days we have pretty front ends that atempt to hide
all the complexity. But as soon as you need to edit something there
isn't a front-end for, or the text file contains some setting that the
fancy front-end doesn't comprehend... suddenly you need to know how all
this stuff works again.

Windows, on the other hand, has always been designed around the idea
that the user doesn't know anything about computers and needs to be
shielded from anything more complicated than a lightswitch. Which is
sometimes quite frustrating, in a different way...

I think XKCD sums it up nicely:

http://www.xkcd.com/619/