POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Nov 2009 16:27:36
Message: <4b09acc8@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> There is also a saying, "The surest way for someone to not understand
> something is for their paycheck to be based on failing to understand
> it."

Yet, oddly enough, we have an adversarial court system, wherein if you don't
understand something about the law, you tend to lose your cases.

> then it has got to be a **lot** narrower than
> what is being applied.

I'm not arguing that.

> And, you are missing my point again. Yes, what I
> gave as an example is a mathematical formula, but the rules don't
> require that it be a formula, just that it have the same attributes as one.

Yes. And a formula for a circle doesn't have the same attributes as a method
for calculating how much torque to apply to a differential to reduce the
tread wear of your tires, given that the motion of the gears is approximated
by a circle closely enough that you can apply the formula that you can't
otherwise patent.

You're arguing that you're right, except for the details. I'm saying the
details matter.

> But, what ever. Our arguments on the matter are not going to define
> where the lines get drawn.

That's what I've been saying.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?