POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Nov 2009 16:10:30
Message: <4b09a8c6$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Well, then don't. I consider the wording, no matter what it says, to
>> be little more than slight of hand.
>
> Welcome to the legal system!
>
>> This differs how from say, computing the area of a circle, using the
>> "data" out of the prior step, in which you determined the circumference?
>
> That's a mathematical formula. Applying that formula in order to
> calculate how far to turn the wheel as you go around a corner in order
> to reduce the wear on tire treads of your car? That's patentable. See
> the difference?

Yeah, you are doing *more* calculations. Its still, "Take data, feed it
into formulas, get a correct result.", and you are still just taking
data from X, feeding it into Y, then into Z, to get the end result. You
want to built a machine to do that, find. You build an algorithm to do
that, its not part of the machine, nor is the machine... Oh, hell.
Forget it...

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {