POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
28 Sep 2024 15:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: clipka
Date: 22 Nov 2009 13:53:32
Message: <4b0988ac$1@news.povray.org>
abram schrieb:

> Instead of fiddling with user-definable functions within povray I added a new
> function to povray's fnintern.cpp which allowed me to render mandelbulbs with
> povray.

Good stuff!

However, regarding the return value, note that the "threshold" parameter
in the isosurface statement is a /borderline/ value; with your
implementation, the default value will cause the isosurface to misbehave
in situations where "insideness" needs to be tested. This can easily be
fixed by using an isosurface threshold of e.g. -0.5, but I think it
would be more elegant to have the function return -1 and 1, respectively.

I'd also be curious whether rendering speed might be improved by
choosing different return values, that might give POV-Ray a hint how
close it might be to the surface. Anyone some experience with that?