POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : First render - no luck... : Re: First render - no luck... Server Time
8 Jul 2024 02:54:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: First render - no luck...
From: Alain
Date: 22 Nov 2009 12:26:44
Message: <4b097454@news.povray.org>

> One step closer!
>
> I removed all material definitions from the model in Rhino, then re-saved as
> ..pov.
>
> Now POV-Ray goes through the whole file - no parsing errors.  I think if I
> carefully re-define materials and properties for the model from within Rhino
> now, I should get moving.
>
> The first render I did now became very flat (of course!), but at least I
> produced a rendered image, that was fun!
>
> Thank you for the feedback :-)

If that works, it means that the Rhino exporter is making gross errors.
In this case, it's obvious to an experienced user, that at least one of
the following is appening:

rh_color  is not defined.
rh_phong  is not defined.
rh_phong_size  is not defined.

A workaround would be to create your own definitions for those variables.

#declare rh_color = <0.1, 0.8, 0.27, 0>;
// Slightly bluish green
// Change the colour definition as you want.
// The last value controlls transparency.
// Zero = no transparency, 1 = fully transparent.

#declare rh_phong = 0.5;
// medium phong highlight
// smaler value for more subtil highlight, larger for srtonger effect

#declare rh_phong_size = 200;
// relatively tight highlight
// small value = broad highlight.

Manualy add those #declare at the very top of the generated .pov file
and start the render.

Personnaly, I'd edit that material and set ambient to zero. ambient 1
difuse 1 is highly unrealistic.

ambient 1 makes the object fully illuminated without any light source.
If you use radiosity, then that object will act as an illumination
source. You probably don't want that.

diffuse 1 makes the object react 100% to the illumination from light source.

This often leads to oversaturation where surfaces with a pigment of
rgb<1, 0.5,0.5>, rgb<0.5,0.75,0.8> and rgb<1,1,1> can all looks identical.

Do a search and replace to change ambient 1 to ambient 0 or some small
value no larger than 0.1
If you set ambient to a non-zero value, you should also reduce the
diffuse value somewhat.

Alain