POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Nov 2009 11:43:27
Message: <4b096a2f$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Well, then don't. I consider the wording, no matter what it says, to be
> little more than slight of hand.

Welcome to the legal system!

> This differs how from say, computing the area of a circle, using the
> "data" out of the prior step, in which you determined the circumference?

That's a mathematical formula. Applying that formula in order to calculate
how far to turn the wheel as you go around a corner in order to reduce the
wear on tire treads of your car? That's patentable. See the difference?

> some things get *close* to that bad, and everyone knows it.

Now you're arguing something completely different. You're arguing "should"
instead of "is", so there's no real point in dicussing *that*, you see?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?