POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Nov 2009 11:40:59
Message: <4b09699b@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> People don't patent algorithms. They either patent computer hardware
>> that accomplishes a task, or they patent an algorithm applied to
>> accomplish a specific task.
>>
> In which you just contradicted yourself. Specific tasks are not
> relevant.

They're very relevant.

 > X + Y = Z is a specific task too,

No, that would be a mathematical formula, which is not patentable.

Tell me, are you actually educated in this field? Have you personally ever
talked to a patent lawyer and had them explain how the patent system works?
Or are you just reading groklaw and thinking that tells you how to be a
patent lawyer?

Because what you're saying leads me to believe you haven't any idea what
you're talking about.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?