POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
28 Sep 2024 15:14:42 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: CShake
Date: 22 Nov 2009 11:32:22
Message: <4b096796$1@news.povray.org>
abram wrote:
> So is this a function that you have defined within povray for the isosurface or
> are you using a df3 file?
>
> Instead of fiddling with user-definable functions within povray I added a new
> function to povray's fnintern.cpp which allowed me to render mandelbulbs with
> povray.
>
> The patch:
> http://softwareprocess.es/x/x/mandelbulb/fnintern.cpp.patch
>
> How I call it:
> http://softwareprocess.es/x/x/mandelbulb/mandelbulb.pov
>
> And a description of how I got here:
> http://softwareprocess.us/index.cgi/Mandelbulb
>
> I really think the functional approach is superior to the voxel approach since
> getting 1000x1000x1000 voxels is time consuming and space consuming.
>
> But if you did define your own function in isosurface I'd love to see it.
>
> abram

Very nice!

I was hoping that someone would take that approach, I looked into the
source but didn't understand it quite well enough to make my own patch.

On that note, I wonder if it would be feasible to add some sort of
user-defined recursive function to the fractal class (z=z^n+c for this,
but replace that ^n part with whatever you want), much like
julia_fractal takes the function name as a parameter. It would make POV
into a very usable fractal generator, since the raytracing side of it is
so well defined already, and most of the other fractal tracers are
homebrew contraptions that are struggling to get good shading but have
the math down.