POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:21:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 22 Nov 2009 03:26:16
Message: <4b08f5a8$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> a computer with software on it **always is**?
>
> Nobody said it always is. There are many patents rejected, both for
> software and hardware.
>
>> Where is this imaginary line drawn between these things, and why is it
>> so damned inconsistent as to when, how, and if, it qualifies as
>> "improving" the machine?
>
> Because you're patenting the results, not how you get there.

The problem of course being that the "result" is one of two things, a
machine, which is following instructions, and therefor isn't really
"improved", since its not doing something it couldn't, just something it
didn't have instructions for, or its the *output*, which is like a
printed book. I.e., it doesn't matter if your "printer"/"printing press"
is printing to CD, video, sound, paper, or the damn moon, the end result
is not a machine itself. And, a machine following instructions on how to
produce that isn't somehow "improved" by loading code into it, otherwise
software would be patentable *directly*, without the legerdemain and
slight of hand being used to argue that its "improving" something else.

This, to me, is the key problem. A lot of stuff is... well, like the
patent for "one click to buy from Amazon". Where is the "machine"
involved? Its not the button you click, that is just the machine
following instructions that say, "If the mouse clicks here, inform some
code", which is instructions to send something to the web, where more
instructions tell the other end to use that data to do something. At no
point in the process is there a discreet "machine", other than the
physical hardware. And the patent isn't about executing that specific
bit of code on a specific bit of hardware. Its software, running
software, interpreting data, which is sent by other software, which is
**very** indirectly run on a machine. A machine that is a "general
purpose" device, designed to mimic the human ability to, "follow
instructions". What exactly got "improved" there? It certainly wasn't
someone attaching a new part to a physical machine, or even *building*
one that specifically handled that situation. Its all instructions, some
of which just happen to include, "Wait for those other instructions,
some place else, to give you data to act on." An instruction that is
hardly different, in principle, to someone writing down on paper, "Wait
until the sun goes down, before lighting the candle."

Its hard to conceive of a situation where you can logically argue that
code, in whatever form, isn't, in principle, possible for a human to
follow, or where the "way" the result is shown, or "how" it gets the
data it needs, or "why" it needs to wait for that data, makes the
resulting instructions stop being instructions, and become a "device" of
some sort.

Point is, if I could build a robot that could read, and build, the same
cabinet, from the same instructions, simply moving those instructions to
a data chip doesn't make it an, "improvement to the robot". Its still
"reading" them, following them, and performing steps, based on them,
regardless of what they are *read* from, and the only protection those
instructions should receive is copyright, not patent.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {