POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More microsoft patents : Re: More microsoft patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:18 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More microsoft patents
From: Darren New
Date: 22 Nov 2009 00:44:08
Message: <4b08cfa8@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> Let's say you have an industrial process. In theory, a human could
>> indeed control that with a pencil and paper except for being so slow
>> the chemicals or whatever would all congeal by the time he decided
>> whether to cook it any longer. So you need something to compute how
>> the machine works. Does that make the machine non-patentable? How much
>> of the machine can you take away before the machine can no longer be
>> patented? That's basically the problem.
>>
> Please.. Please! Stop confusing the instructions that tell the machine
> what to do with the bloody machine. They are not the same thing.

I know that.  OK, I give up, since you're apparently so worked up about this
you're not even reading.

> or whether or not it makes any damn sense to claim that
> this "improved" the machine, given that the machine was perfectly
> capable of doing it without them, it just **didn't know how**,

That doesn't make a whole lot of sense. This pile of pots and pans and
chemicals *could* cure cancer. They just *didn't know how*.  Hence, the
instructions for making a drug that cures cancer shouldn't be patentable, right?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?