POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
28 Sep 2024 17:28:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: CShake
Date: 21 Nov 2009 02:06:05
Message: <4b07915d@news.povray.org>
waggy wrote:
> Oh, and here is the same view with the isosurface function limited to eight
> iterations.
>
> I just found the function also works well, and is far, far quicker, as a media
> density.
>
> Good times.
>
> ~David

Well, I'm seeing that the actual surface generation and rendering is
probably best left to people like you who seem to get good results, so I
figured I might as well go another direction with it.

Instead of going for the full 3d, as many of you are, I decided to make
a way to get 2d 'slices' of this beast that allow for nice smooth
coloring based on divergence rate, like most of the pictures for the
original Mandelblot, instead of only edge finding like everyone seems to
be doing with this so far. I wrote some code that will generate
grayscale images based on number of iterations according to various
parameters.

Here is one slice, generated with parameters mirroring povray:
center = <0.7275,0.272,0.5>
right = <0.001,0,0>
up = <0,0.001,0>
n = 8
max_iterations = 200
This image is NOT pov-created, but can be used for patterns and the
like. It was originally generated at 5000x5000 (.png) which took about a
minute, then downsized for uploading here.

C++ source available on request, the only dependencies are ImageMagick
for creating the image file itself, and a compiler supporting OpenMP.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mb_slice_demo.jpg' (270 KB)

Preview of image 'mb_slice_demo.jpg'