POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google Wave? : Re: Google Wave? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:23:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google Wave?
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 20 Nov 2009 19:00:39
Message: <4b072da7$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/20/09 14:12, Eero Ahonen wrote:
> Neeum Zawan wrote:
>>      The plan _is_ to release the protocol for free. Is there some
>> technicality that I'm unaware of?
>
> Ok. I'm not aware of everything, haven't had inspiration to dig through
> all the docs etc. This is the first time I've heard of planning to
> releasing the protocol itself, which IMO sounds good.

	Umm...OK. I wrote my comment a bit defensively because I assumed you
knew more than I did.

	You've not seen the original video highlighting Google Wave? They said
it right from the first "unveiling" that the protocol will be open, as
will most of the source code. The protocol has been out there since I
first heard of Google Wave...

> Well yes, but after adding news.povray.org to my newsreader and
> subscribing to povray.binaries.images I could read also the messages
> from the past. The messages which wasn't sent especially to me, since
> no-one here knew I even existed. This is not possible with mailing
> lists, if otherwise available archives aren't counted in.

	Yes, but it *is* possible with Google Wave. That's one of the cool
things they claimed (and demonstrated). If you're having a conversation
with 2-3 people, and add another one later on (or one joins later on),
he can see the whole history.

> Even today, you didn't choose me to be recipient of this message, nor
> did gregjohn at the beginning of the thread (which, in my understanding,
> equals a wave). Still I can see both these messages, since I've
> subscribed to a group, which this thread is sent to.

	Same should be true with Wave as they claimed it.

>  From wave I've got the impression that it works like a mailing list, but
> holding information of message threading.

	Nope. All the things you've said is what they claimed it will be able
to handle (and a few of those things were demonstrated in that video).
Maybe not all of it is available yet on the Beta version, though.

--
Two robins were sitting in a tree. `I'm really hungry`, said the first
one. `Me, too` said the second. `Let's fly down and find some lunch.`