POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : More microsoft patents : Re: More microsoft patents Server Time
8 Oct 2024 17:25:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: More microsoft patents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Nov 2009 17:11:22
Message: <4b07140a$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
>> Either software is a thing, or its instructions. If its the later, we
>> have a serious problem.
>
> I'm saying that people don't patent software. They patent hardware
> that's running that software.  You may argue that it doesn't make any
> difference, but that factually isn't the case, or nobody would be trying
> to change that via the courts right now.

Show me how many patents MS holds that talk about the hardware, and not
software, then explain to me how its not patenting software itself. You
are wrong about that. And the arguments being made are not "if they
should" allow patents on software itself, but whether or not they
**should have** in the first place in a **lot** of cases. On rethinking,
there may be some cases where its damn fuzzy and might be reasonable,
but there are two arguments against it, one being that even the
industry, including, in some cases, the patent holders, find it
*detracting* from the purpose of promoting innovation, and it is so damn
fuzzy that avoiding crossing the line might not be even feasible.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {