POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:25:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 20 Nov 2009 16:50:41
Message: <4b070f31@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> And, the point here is, the argument made, sadly effectively by some,
>> is that loading software onto a machine makes it a new machine. It
>> doesn't.
>
> I don't think people make that argument. If they did, they wouldn't be
> worried about the Beloski case, or whatever it's called. Right now, you
> don't have to patent only "a new machine". You patent any machine
> running that software.

>> machine *period*. The very idea of absurd.
>
> Can you show me anywhere that someone claimed that loading instructions
> into a machine makes it a new machine?

Benhart case:

"There is one further rationale used by both the board and the examiner,
namely, that the provision of new signals to be stored by the computer
does not make it a new machine, i. e. it is structurally the same, no
matter how new, useful and unobvious the result. This rationale really
goes more to novelty than to statutory subject matter but it appears to
be at the heart of the present controversy. To this question we say that
if a machine is programmed in a certain new and unobvious way, it is
physically different from the machine without that program; its memory
elements are differently arranged. The fact that these physical changes
are invisible to the eye should not tempt us to conclude that the
machine has not been changed. If a new machine has not been invented,
certainly a "new and useful improvement" of the unprogrammed machine has
been, and *Congress has said in 35 U.S.C. § 101 that such improvements
are statutory subject matter for a patent.* It may well be that the vast
majority of newly programmed machines are obvious to those skilled in
the art and hence unpatentable under 35 U.S.C. § 103. We are concluding
here that such machines are statutory under 35 U.S.C. § 101, and that
claims defining them must be judged for patentability in light of the
prior art."

You get that. Congress accepted the definition, and concluded that
"improvements" to a machine, which involve loading software onto it,
**changes** the machine, thus making it a patentable product. The case
in question doesn't even deny this possibility, it just makes the
argument I do, which is that such things are, "obvious to those skilled
in the art and hence unpatentable". You are saying that this is "not" a
legal grounds to make something unpatentable. So, we have, "Stuffing
instructions into a machine makes it new, therefor patentable", and,
"Sorry, but even if this is a blindingly obvious solution for people
that know how the machine works, its still patentable."

So... Tell me again how no one is making this absurd argument?

I am sure I linked the groklaw page talking about this some place, but
maybe I didn't..

void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {
       call slow_by_half();