POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents : Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:24:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Yet another reason why they shouldn't grant software patents
From: Darren New
Date: 20 Nov 2009 13:11:40
Message: <4b06dbdc$1@news.povray.org>
Patrick Elliott wrote:
> And, the point here is, the argument made, sadly effectively by some, is
> that loading software onto a machine makes it a new machine. It doesn't.

I don't think people make that argument. If they did, they wouldn't be
worried about the Beloski case, or whatever it's called. Right now, you
don't have to patent only "a new machine". You patent any machine running
that software.

> the instructions a "new" machine *period*. The very idea of absurd.

Can you show me anywhere that someone claimed that loading instructions into
a machine makes it a new machine?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   Is God willing to prevent naglams, but unable?