POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ... : Re: I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ... Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I found the missing piece to the "me" puzzle ...
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 20 Nov 2009 11:37:05
Message: <4b06c5b1$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/20/09 08:51, scott wrote:
> This is exactly like me too. I put it down to the fact that I really
> just want to see if a concept is viable or not, I have no interest in

	What I call "The Mathematician's Fallacy".

	A hotel was hosting attendees of a physics conference. A fire broke
out. The physicists did some complex calculations, calculated the
trajectory of buckets of water flung from a quickly crafted catapult,
and successfully were able to land the buckets of water into the fire,
extinguishing it.

	The next week it was a chemistry conference. Another fire broke out.
The attendees ran to the kitchen and related utility rooms, and quickly
crafted a custom made extinguisher. Applied it to the fire, and went
back to sleep.

	The next week it was a mathematics conference. Yet another fire broke
out. The attendees ran out of their rooms. Looked around. Saw a fire
extinguisher hanging by the wall. Declared "A solution exists!". And
promptly left the building.

	The hotel burned to the ground.

	You come up with a solution, convince yourself that it works, and
what's left is implementing it, which simply doesn't seem fun to you.
You weren't actually interested in *solving* the problem. You just
wanted to figure out *how* it's solved.

--
Two robins were sitting in a tree. `I'm really hungry`, said the first
one. `Me, too` said the second. `Let's fly down and find some lunch.`