POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. 3D Mandelbrots : Re: Rendering technology Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:25:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Rendering technology
From: scott
Date: 20 Nov 2009 10:51:37
Message: <4b06bb09@news.povray.org>
> Indeed, my plan is to write a custom renderer. I was more asking about
> which kinds of algorithms might be appropriate to use.

AFAIK they are just using a normal backward raytracer like POV, but with
some optimisations to find the fractal surface quickly rather than just
binary search along the ray.  You know how when you render a 2D mandelbrot
you can use that double-log formula to get a smooth iteration count?  Well I
think they're using a similar formula to get an indicator of how far away
they are from the surface.  If you calculate that at 2 or 3 points close
together on your ray, you should be able to extrapolate to get a pretty good
estimate of where the surface actually is.  Repeat until you're at
sufficient accuracy.

To estimate the surface normal I think you could re-calculate the fractal
(using the smooth iteration count formula) a short distance away on each
axis.  This can then be used for the lighting algorithm or your choice (it
seems a lot of them then shoot a few hundred rays out for some AO lighting
in addition to diffuse and shadows).

It certainly looks exciting, after my df3 isosurface attempts I'm very
tempted to try this myself too.  I'm going to think about if a GPU version
is possible.