POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : SH3 : Re: SH3 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:18:35 EDT (-0400)
  Re: SH3
From: Stefan Viljoen
Date: 20 Nov 2009 10:27:53
Message: <4b06b579@news.povray.org>
Doctor John wrote:

> clipka wrote:
>>
>> I was a bit worried that it might have a communist connotation in
>> English. Does it?
>
> Certainly not to me. In my youth the war comics were full of German
> troops surrendering to the plucky British soldier and shouting 'Kamerad!
> Kamerad!' - they were also full of German pilots yelling 'Achtung!
> Spitfeuer!' but that's beside the point.
> ;-)

Well, in SA English it does have a communist connotation. Same in Afrikaans
(my native language) - calling someone "Kameraad" (Note the similarity to
German) can lead people to think you are a communist, and have something to
do with the government.

Though, in English here, it is usually only used by government ministers who
are in the Communist Party or the ruling ANC, usually when describing a
fellow Communist or ANC member. In common usage it is not much heard.
--
Stefan Viljoen